Electricity Information Management System (EIMS) was setup in compliance with the functions, powers and responsibilities of the Agency as captured in Part 2, 6(u) of the NEMSA Act, 2015.
The act states that ‘‘the Agency shall provide non-core and ancillary services for commercial opportunities and drive the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry; including research and development, electricity information management systems etc. This implies that NEMSA shall provide data, information and library services for Stake-holders, Investors, Researchers, Academia and others through its Electricity Information Management Systems (EIMS).
• Implementation of policies that will lead to the aggregation of all the Power Sector Information via Physical and Electronic Archiving Library System, where all data and information on the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry and other allied industries are deposited.
• Creation of Centralized Database of the Power Sector Information that will serve as a one-stop-shop for all stakeholders and individual seeking information about the power sector right from the era of Public Works Department (PWD), Electricity Corporation of Nigeria (ECN), National Electric Power Authority (NEPA), Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), and to the post-privatization period.
The operational structure of EIMS is divided into three sections namely: Library Management, Information Management, and Communication Management.
• Library Management is a general administration where information, materials and books etc. are archived, for reference and historical record purposes.
• Information Management is responsible for the collation of data and information from the core power sector players, development partners, and donor agencies; the preparation of reports; and carrying out of survey for the purpose of collating qualitative and quantitative information.
• Communication Management is responsible for the dissemination of information through intranet and internet for internal and external stakeholders respectively.
The Assistant Head (EIMS) Unit reports to the Head (ICT/EIMS) and is responsible for
Supervising the development of the EIMS portal
Determination of the information types/categories to be hosted on the EIMS
Management of the EIMS data center
Determination of access levels for users/subscribers
Maintenance of the center and equipment
Preparation of plans and programs for upgrade of the center
Propose software and hardware needs of the EIMS
Overseeing the activities of the Archiving and Library units
Determination of information needs for the EIMS
Undertake collection, collation and assessment of data/information
Scanning and conversion of received information/data ensuring fitness for consumption
Ensure security and authenticity of information/data
Maintenance and storage of original materials/data/etc.
Monitors and evaluates access and usage of the EIMS
Determines the EIMS structure and level of access privileges to subscribers
Carry out other functions as directed by Head, EIMS.
Development of the library content/books/materials/etc
Cataloging and filing of all materials
Preparation of inventory for procurement
Sourcing, researching, analyzing global trends for integration into the EIMS
Development, population and maintenance of users database
Provides access to sector operators, stakeholders and the general public
Determines the library structure
Carry out other functions as directed by Head EIMS.