Certification and Testing
NEMSA carries out inspections, testing and certification functions in the NESI to ensure the following:
- Safety and reliability of power supply to consumers
- Safety of lives and properties (reduction in electrical accidents, loss of lives, economic loss, etc)
- Quality and standardization of electrical materials, equipment, machines, etc. used for generation, transmission and distribution networks
- That electrical power systems, networks and installations are put in place and maintained in a manner to provide power supply and services to customers continuously with minimal supply interruptions.
Certification and Testing of:
- All electrical materials and equipment used for power generation, transmission, distribution and utilization.
- All electric power generating station (plants) with associated switch yard installations.
- 330KV & 132KV power transmission line with associated 330/132KV transmitting substations.
- 33KV sub-transmission lines with associated 33/11KV injection substations.
- All categories of distribution networks (systems) consisting of 33/11KV high tension lines and distribution substations.
- Electrical installation in factories, industries, breweries, commercial premises, high-rise buildings, etc.
- Small consumer installations to ensure that workplaces, residential homes, small business premises, etc. are safe and free from electrical hazards.
- Electric (concrete/wooden) poles to ensure that only good quality and reliable materials are used in the electricity industry.
- Electrical installations in hazardous locations like petrol/service filling stations, prospecting oil companies (e.g)- Shell Petroleum Development Company, Mobil, Chevron, etc.) Off – and On-shore flow stations, and wells, floating production storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessels, etc.
- Electrical installation of privately owned Independent power plants (IPPs), electric generating plants or set.